Nov 18 2010

Mom will kick your…

Posted at 1:45 am under Uncategorized

The story that I liked the most was “How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie” because it’s a young boy that is trying to “get some” but he constantly mentions his mother because she will beat him if, of course she finds out his intentions for staying home and if he forgets to put the cheese back in the refrigerator. I found this story funny because he’s trying to act mature by inviting a girl but he’s also scared of his mother beating the heck out of him. In the very beginning I get the impression that he is embarrassed by the life he lives and his nationality because he hides the government cheese, puts away pictures of his cousins in the campo and hides a picture of himself with an Afro. BUT he is willing to use his Spanish to impress a girl. He says “order everything in your busted-up Spanish. Let her correct you if she’s Latina and amaze her if she’s black.” (145) basically there seems to be a right time and a wrong time to acknowledge his heritage. He creates a profile for each type of these girls, which are estimating what base he’ll go to. The story isn’t just about creating the different profiles. It is about self disappointment, the hiding of things was the beginning, the comment he makes about his mother knowing the scent of the tear gas,  I scenes disappointment. Furthermore, when is says “Tell her that you love her hair…because, in truth, you love them more than you love your own.” (147 I get the impression that he’s not happy with the way he looks.
And lastly the child within him comes out after the girl leaves because he doesn’t waste his time alone. He makes sure to watch his shows because, YES!!! None of his family members are around to nag him. Even sleep at this time would be a waste.
Most importantly “Put the government cheese back in its place before your MOM KILLS YOU.”

4 responses so far

4 Responses to “Mom will kick your…”

1.   beverly grosson 18 Nov 2010 at 11:23 am 1

great job

2.   Caitlinon 20 Nov 2010 at 6:16 pm 2

I really enjoyed your blog. I liked how you didn’t only comment on what was there in the story but made your own inferences. I like how you say ” there seems to be a right time and a wrong time to acknowledge his heritage.” I also felt,after you mentioned it, it was strange that he would embrace his hispanic heritage by speaking in spanish but wouldn’t want the girl to see his roots. I guess young children are embarassed by things like that.

3.   Haani Karimon 22 Nov 2010 at 6:03 pm 3

I like your entry because I think your entry completely summed up How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie perfectly. There were also many contradictions in his ways to impress girls like hiding his nationality by hiding a picture of himself with an afro, but allowing the girl to correct his busted up Spanish, that I hadn’t thought of before.

4.   mbenareson 22 Nov 2010 at 11:58 pm 4

Great observation of the narrator creating profiles of different women at the same becoming disappointed. That line as the professor said is one of the defining lines of the book “tell her that you love her hair…because, in truth, you love them more than you love your own” This quote speaks in volume about how he feels about himself and the women that he dates.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS